Thursday, April 03, 2008

We pulled a "Florida"

So, our ward just won the stake basketball tournament this week. It was a showdown of the same two teams that were in the flag-football championship just last fall. Only this time, we were the ones who climbed back after an excruciating loss in the first round (the tournament was a double elimination, except for the finals game). In football, the other team was the one who had come back from the loser's bracket to meet us in the finals, but we handed them their hats for a second time.

This time around, in basketball, the finals game was a winner take all, so even though both teams ended the tournament with only one loss, we were the victors in the game that mattered and therefore we were the ones who received the t-shirts. It was a lot of fun. I didn't necessarily have my best game ever but I did contribute with some stellar defense and a couple of layups. I'm glad I could participate. I enjoy playing these sports and I'm glad that good sportsmanship is a strength in this stake. Sure, it gets a little heated sometimes but we never have to worry about fights or anything like that.

Hilary and the kids came to watch and now whenever Sasha sees basketball on TV or wherever, she points to me and says "Da-da!" because she apparently really enjoyed watching Daddy play basketball.
So, I entitled this post "We pulled a Florida" only because we did as Miami did in college sports and took the championship in both football and basketball. We'll just have to see if we can still compete next year with everyone since there will be so many people moving in and out of the ward.

3 comments:

Justin said...

Nice Dupicate of my post from two days ago. It's actually pulling a "Florida". Different schools. Miami has never won anything in basketball and never will. Just a little FYI

The Glads ... said...

Thanks Justin. For both the clarification and the inspiration.

Allison said...

Hi my long lost friends!! Allison (Lunt) Harris here...I'm so glad I stumbled upon your BLOG! What a stinkin' cute family you have! Check you and your blog later!