Saturday, May 03, 2008

Here's one for the books

“The human suffering which we ourselves generate – and this is so much of the grim and grand total – is not an indication of God’s indifference. Rather, it is the measure of man’s inhumanity to man. God’s empathy is not to be defined by man’s lack of empathy or by our sometimes stupid and cruel use of moral agency!” ~ Neal A. Maxwell

I think Elder Maxwell here had to have been speaking directly about law school finals! First of all, I am paying lots and lots of money for this education, this punishment and torture. Second, the whole method of law school exams and "testing what you know" can only be described as inhumane. Third, just because some of the professors (or some other students) might think they are gods, their lack of empathy and their cruel use of moral agency is not a reflection of the higher power's empathy.

I know God empathizes and sympathizes with me. I know He is watching over me. I also know that He is probably up there cheering me on. I know just as well as He does that I don't have to be the top of my class. Just as long as I do my very best, hopefully it will be enough to get a passing grade. As long as I am consistent in getting passing grades, I will graduate and get a law degree. However, these exams remind me that there are much more important things to life than suffering through excruciating mental stress and strain for two weeks straight. I am glad to have my wife and kids back during this time. I know at times, it may seem to them that nothing matters to me besides school, but that is not the case. Even though they can be a distraction to my study time, I love them so much and I am glad that I have such a good thing to distract me.

Thank you Hilary for being so understanding. You are a wonderful wife and friend. (and a great mommy too!)

No comments: